History of Mark Twain Memorial Lighthouse
on Cardiff Hill, Hannibal, Missouri U.S.A.
The Mark Twain Memorial Lighthouse stands on
Cardiff Hill, overlooking Hannibal, Missouri, Mark Twain's
boyhood home town, on the banks of the Mississippi River. It is
the furthest inland lighthouse in the world and was first lighted
in 1935 by President Franklin Roosevelt from the White House in
celebration of Mark Twain's 100th birthday. It was relighted by
President Kennedy in 1963, and rededicated and relighted by
President Clinton in 1994. In 2001 the lighthouse underwent additional renovation.
In 2019, after a structural study, the structure was removed and a new
lighthouse was built on the current foundation. Construction of the new
lighthouse, which includes a beacon, flood lights and light shows, was completed
in June 2019. See the aerial photo on the main W0MTL page. The new Mark Twain
Memorial Lighthouse will be dedicated in the Fall of 2019. The
lighthouse's beacon serves to remind visitors from around the
world of the spirit of adventure chronicled in Mark Twain's books.
This spirit was brought to life in Twain's characters Tom Sawyer,
Huckleberry Finn, and Becky Thatcher.